Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Blogging the Senior Year Journey...

It's been many years since I've been an active member of the Blog-o-sphere.  I was very active for many years when my kids were younger, describing our days filled with learning, it's joys and it's challenges.  I built a strong online support community through these online diaries which always uplifted and, at times, sustained me.

But as my kids entered their teens, blogging became "challenging."  While blogging was very cathartic for me, at times I struggled between  the benefit others could gain from sharing our struggles to violating my kid's privacy when they were acting their worst!  Over time, my blog felt like a superficial shadow of it's former self, as I couldn't find the balance while going through some challenging times.  


A few of my former blogging friends have been discussing how few blogs are deal with homeschooling the high school years.  These is so much we can gleen from each other, and I miss that!  I have been reconsidering the benefit of trying to find a way toward authenticity.  I've grown through those past trials and am at a place where I would love to share our homeschooling journey with others again. 


 Our focus at home has shifted as well, as we spend more time gardening, crafting, preserving.  We've got a "back to basics" vibe going, which is perfect for our little hen house in the suburbs.   I've moved on from being a Mother Crone, and morphed into a Mother Clucker! 


My last chick,  Honey,  will be a senior in high school this year.  She's a fantastic young lady who's helped teach me about perseverance and joy and has a wisdom beyond her years.  But like any other teen, this year is a big scary adventure as she plans her future , and a whole world to consider.    


It's a big, scary adventure for me as well, as I am looking at the end of a decade and a half career homeschooling the kids.  Never would I have anticipated all the places that choice would take me.  I've  learned so much on this journey, enjoyed my kids, and even built a business through homeschooling (more on that later).   As we begin this final year,  I've got a big wide world open for me as well.    


So here we go again! 



2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures. We're about to start homeschooling middle school. (middle, elementary, and preschool)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently started blogging about homeschooling my 2 teenage daughters. I was just thinking the other day how there are not many other hs blogs about older kids out there. I look forward to reading about your experiences also.

    Becca
    http://anotherbendinroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete